A delectable fall treat that smells like Fall! Easily make them vegan and/or gluten free by replacing flours and using egg replacer. You're welcome.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 apples, washed/peeled and grated
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Prep 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line a muffin tin with some parchment paper liners and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, set aside.
4. In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar, add the eggs and vanilla and whisk them together until combined.
5. Whisk in the yogurt, shredded apples and orange zest.
6. Add the dry ingredients along with the milk.
7. Using an ice cream scoop, divide your batter evenly in the lined muffin tin (about 3/4 full) and set aside.
8. To make the topping, in a different bowl, add both kinds of sugar, the flour, and butter. Using a fork, cut the butter in the sugar mixture until it’s in smaller pieces, toss in the walnuts and stir everything together to combine.
9. Add a spoonful of the mixture on top of each muffin.
10. Bake for about 25 minutes or until fully cooked through.
* Tips & Tricks:
- use parchment paper liners- the batter will not stick!
- 25 minutes at the 375 degree oven is the perfect time. Let cool completely before eating.
- the original recipe called for 2 apples. I doubled to 4, and it's perfect.
Recipe adapted from Laura Vitale.